* Required fieldsUsername
is the ID required when logging in. It is not visible to other members of the site.Displayname
is the nick that will be visible to other members of the site.Password
should be minimum 5 characters.
PLEASE IGNORE THE REAL NAME OPTION! To protect our younger members, we ask that no one gives their real name on the forums. Please do not fill in your real name when you register. (We'd take this option out if we could work out how!)
Upon registering you'll be sent an automatic verfication email containing instructions on how to finish the registration process. Please allow up to 20 minutes for receiving it. If you do not receive the activation email, try this: Resend Activation Email
. Before resending the activation email check whether it was not automatically received in your spam/bulk mail folder.
Please do not use AOL mail accounts.Phantom of the Opera .com Posting Rules
PLEASE READ before you post!General Policies
By registering and participating in phantomoftheopera.com forum discussions you agree to the following code of conduct. If you do not agree with the code of conduct, please cease participating in forum discussions.
This is your community. Most people have a common sense feel for what is and what is not appropriate in these forums. We do, however, need to have a few set policies for everyone to refer to when the need arises.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually explicit material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes racial or homophobic slurs. Doing any of this may lead to you being temporarily or permanently banned from these forums.
Posts which violate any part of this Code of Conduct may be edited or moved to a special area accessible to moderators and administrators only called "Backstage."
The administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any material which breaches our rules as quickly as possible where applicable. You acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or web-master (except for posts by these people) and they will not be held liable.
If you continue to break this code of conduct your account would be reviewed and you could be banned. It is the sole discretion the administrators, on the advice of the moderators, to ban violating accounts.
The IP addresses of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. This is necessary to ensure the protection of all members’ rights.
You agree that the web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any post, topic or thread at any time following the guidelines outlined below. You agree that the web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum have the right to send a private message with a warning and/or censor any forum user who is in violation of forum policy.Posting Policies
1. Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
2. Respect the forum moderators. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. Please respect our decisions. If you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the Complaints thread in the Managers Office.
3. Profanity. Remember that the forums are used by people of all age groups and of all tolerance levels regarding profanity usage. Please try to keep your language polite and courteous and limit your usage of profanities. Under no circumstances will we allow any profanity to be directed toward another user. Moderators and/or administrators will edit any posts containing explicit profanity, and then record the edit Backstage. They will also post the unedited content Backstage as a record.
4. Forum Threads and Flaming:
o Flaming: Flames are messages that personally attack, call people names, or otherwise harass another forum member (or any person or group). These will be moved or removed at the moderators' discretion.
o If the thread is flame-bait (appears to be intended to start a flame war or is likely to cause a bitter argument rather than enhance discussion), it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flame-bait may be deleted or edited at the moderators' discretion. Any users who continue to post in this manner or engage in other questionable practices, like trolling (posting in an attempt anger and upset people) may be subject to more serious sanctions.
o If the thread turns into a flame war, it can be locked or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going, but that is not always possible.
5. Spam. To prevent spam, no more than 5 URLS can be posted in any one comment. If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be locked and moved to the Perros Graveyard and the poster may be banned. Users are allowed to have links to personal sites in their signatures, in their profile, and may post them in threads if they are relevant (just not often, please) as long as the content of those links does not include abusive, obscene, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated material or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Posts or threads containing advertising about Phantom related items are allowed in the relevant forum, such as the Auction.
6. Adult Content/Violence/Criminal Activity. Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/criminal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting criminal activity may also be deleted. This includes the selling of bootlegs. Posting any of these could result in a ban.
7. Thread Drifting/Steering. Please keep discussions on topic. All non-Phantom related discussions belong in the Chorus.
8. Communication. Please strive to communicate with other users as effectively as possible:
o When writing a post, please space paragraphs with a blank line in between them for better readability.
o Please do not write posts in all uppercase letters, as it looks as if you are screaming at the people reading your post.
o Please refrain from using "leet" speak or slang.
o Please do not shorten all your words to acronyms or abbreviations. It is very difficult to read and understand, especially for those members for whom English is their second or even third language.
o Typos and other errors can cause miscommunication between users on the forums, please preview your text before posting.
o Please do not cross post, or post the same thing in multiple locations.
o We are not the spelling and grammar police, but please attempt to keep your postings understandable.
o Posting in ALL CAPS or tOgGlE cAsE is not permitted. Reading posts full of things like plz, u, 4, or hundreds of smilies and exclamation points is also very tiresome. You don't have to sound as if you're writing an essay, but do us all a favour and cut down on the txt msg speak!
9. Chat. If you want real-time chat, please use IRC, or exchange AIM info with people. Although "chat" topics are allowed in The Chorus, that does NOT mean real-time back and forth chat where a thread becomes 3 pages in an hour. We do not have unlimited bandwidth and this is a discussion board, not a chatroom. Please respect that.
10. Images. Please be prudent in your use of images. When posting pictures, please keep your image to less than 100kb. No more than 5 URLS can be posted per comment (images and links). This is to prevent spam. In these cases, if you have multiple pictures to post, it's acceptable to post more than 1 comment in a row.
11. Signatures. Signatures are not a place for inappropriate material such as attacks, slander, or harassment.
12. Multiple accounts: If you are found to be using an alternate account to break the forum rules, such as to troll, flame, spam, or harass, all your accounts may be subject to banning.
13. Search function. The forums have a search function, and you can also browse back through previous topics. Before you start a new thread on a new topic, please make sure that there isn't already a thread where your post would fit. Don't start a new thread because you've just seen the movie - post in the movie review thread. Before asking who the old woman was at the beginning of the film, or questions about the ring, read the FAQ thread. Instead of starting a new thread to ask a basic question about the Leroux novel, post your question in one of the existing threads about the novel. Remember to change your search setting time frame to “from the beginning” when searching, to ensure that you do not miss threads. You can also use the "Is there a Thread About...?
14. Correct forum. Please make an effort to post in the right forum. If it's not specifically about the Phantom movie, don't post it in Silver Screen - if you want to talk about the actors in general, post in The Dressing Room (checking to see if there's a thread already, first). If you want advice on your love life, post it in The Chorus. If you have any queries as to where to post a specific thread, please post in the “Is there a thread about…..” thread in the Manager’s Office.
15. Subject line. Please make the subject/topic line of any new thread descriptive and informative, so people looking at the title will have some idea what it's about. "Please answer my question!" is an example of a badly chosen title. "Why does the Phantom have a mannequin that looks like Christine?" is an example of a good title.
16. No “me too” posts. No "me too" posts, or posts just to increase your post count. Please think before posting. Do you actually have something to add to the discussion, or are you just saying "me too”.
17. Sexuality. Sexuality is an important aspect of Phantom, and as such may be discussed here. We also do not censor "dirty" words. Since young people's maturity level varies, we do not wish to set a minimum age for the site, but recommend that parents supervise their children here and everywhere else on the Internet.
18. Religion/Politics threads. Conversations about religion and other controversial subjects are allowed but will be carefully monitored to ensure that there is no flaming, general rudeness or bullying.
19. Personal information. No user is allowed to disclose personal information on the site. Personal information is defined to include real name(s), age and home town/place of residence. Moderators will edit out this information from a user’s post.
If you have found a post that you feel is inappropriate or that violates the forum code of conduct, please refer it to the moderating team in the “Problem Threads” thread in the Manager’s Office.
The web-master, administrators and moderators of this forum will preserve forum content when possible. However editing, locking and deleting content may be necessary and if so will be done at the discretion of the web-master, administrators and moderators when the forum code of conduct has been violated.Moderator Code of Conduct:
1. Dealing with Profanity:
Some profanity/swearing is allowed in the context of general speech. Explicit profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will we allow profanity to be directed toward another person. If you feel a user is out of line please contact the moderators with the details, and they will issue a warning to the user if appropriate.
2. Editing of posts:
Moderators may edit posts to remove personal information, abusive attacks on other members, hate speech, pornography (or links to porn or hate sites), illegal content, and obvious cases of trolling or spam. When a post breaks the forum rules and requires editing, the moderator must copy the un-edited post to Backstage first and send a PM to the user advising them of the edit. Only then should the original post be edited after the original content was preserved as evidence. In the private message the moderator should specify or describe which rule(s) the post did not follow. (When dealing with obvious spam which is entirely unrelated to Phantom, moderators do not need to PM the spammer advising them of the deletion.)
3. Removal of posts/thread:
If a post/thread would require a lot of work to bring it into compliance, or if editing the violations would result in a nearly blank post/thread, the post/thread should be locked and moved to the Perros Graveyard instead.
4. Keeping an open mind:
Sometimes you will be faced with a thread you might not agree with it's imperative you keep an open mind towards all people, and keep a neutral focus when replying. It is our duty to steer the conversations back into a positive nature without engaging in negative behaviour.
5. Moderators' and administrators' behaviour:
Moderating is a duty, not a right. Moderators are chosen by the site administrators. Moderators must agree to treat all members with respect at all times. Moderating and running this site can become difficult at times, and this needs to be remembered; however as a general rule, mods should be courteous and helpful.
It should be noted that, like all things, this code of conduct will continue to change and evolve with constructive feedback from users and from experience. It is our hope that these policies will create open, honest, and civil discussion. As always, we welcome feedback about any concerns that you may have so feel free to post in the “Complaints... I am concerned” thread in the Managers’ Office.
We require that the forum code of conduct be followed at all times.