Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

#1 Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
britonx Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 0:16
I wanted to find out what instruments are used in todays showing of the musical. The Las Vegas orchestra if possible. Thanks!

#2 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
Angel Of Darkness Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 0:21
violin, viola, trumpets, baritones, tubas, flutes, xylophones, bells, I thinks i got some of them.

#3 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
The Phantom Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 0:33
I think there are also some french horns in there, too.

#4 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
Angel Of Darkness Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 0:38
I think there are also some french horns in there, too.

I think your right, I think there were some clarinets, and percussion too.

#5 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
Potions Mahster Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 1:28
It would be all the instruments in a basic orchestra, violin, viola, cellos, pretty sure I heard string basses, trumpets, baritones, tubas, flutes, bells, percussion, piano, synthesizer (for the organ), bassoons (I heard them specifically) clarinets, oboes, bass clarinet, trombones, french horns... thaat's all I could hear. You can probably find an official list somewhere...

#6 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
CarlottaGuidicelli Posted on: 19 Nov 2006 18:42
If you look in the program, it tells.

If you're wondering about the touring company, there isn't an oboe, for example, because they used the pared down orchestration. Toronto started out with the complete orchestration but then to cut costs also switched to the pared down version. For those who don't believe there is a difference, I statred getting used to the pared down version, but then saw the show in Hamburg, Germany, where they used the full orchestration and there was a completely different, *full* sound.

#7 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
BrambleClaw☆ Posted on: 20 Nov 2006 1:42
Could someone help me?

In The orginal london cast recording, in Entr'Acte, during the first parts of the MotN theme, what instrument has the melody?
Cause I cant figure it out for the life of me.

#8 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
Spookie Posted on: 22 Nov 2006 16:30
Quote:

BrambleClaw wrote:
Could someone help me?

In The orginal london cast recording, in Entr'Acte, during the first parts of the MotN theme, what instrument has the melody?
Cause I cant figure it out for the life of me.

I reckon it's an oboe. If not, a Cor Anglais (definitely a higher-range double reed instrument)

Mel

#9 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
britonx Posted on: 1 Dec 2006 23:31
I went to the play and these are the instruments used in the Las Vegas Spectacular.
keyboard, violin, cello, bass, trumpet, french horn, bass trombone, flute, piccolo, clarinet, Eb clarinet, bass clarinet, oboe, english horns, and the percussion.

Thanks for the help though, I got an A on my paper..LOL YEA!

#10 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
ecupirate Posted on: 14 Dec 2006 2:19
i play bass clarinet and would LOVE to know how one would climb the ladder to be able to play in the Las vegas show!

#11 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
CarlottaGuidicelli Posted on: 14 Dec 2006 20:33
Quote:

ecupirate wrote:
i play bass clarinet and would LOVE to know how one would climb the ladder to be able to play in the Las vegas show!

Practice.

#12 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
raouls_little_lotte Posted on: 14 Dec 2006 20:44
Okay, in New York the orchestra is

Clarinet, Flute, Violin, Cello, String Bass, percussion, trumpet, and French Horn. They didn't have a bass clarinet, but some don't. The French Horn is the dominate instrument in most of the play, so they have to be there.

As for the intsrument in the beginning of the MotN it would be a it would either a clarinet, but there is a high French Horn with it.

I am an ex band student. I played a French Horn, so I sat infront of most of the instruments. I know most of them by sound.

#13 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
modern_angel_of_music Posted on: 25 Apr 2007 18:03
Going by what I could hear/see last time, there was several violins, french horn, trumpet, clarinet, oboe, flute, bassoon (that would do instead of a bass clarinet, raouls_little_lotte), there was a cello, viola, cor anglais, sevearl percussion instruments and a variety of keyboards eg organ. There's a full listing of instruments in the programme.

#14 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
CarlottaGuidicelli Posted on: 25 Apr 2007 19:15
Quote:

modern_angel_of_music wrote:
Going by what I could hear/see last time, there was several violins, french horn, trumpet, clarinet, oboe, flute, bassoon (that would do instead of a bass clarinet, raouls_little_lotte), there was a cello, viola, cor anglais, sevearl percussion instruments and a variety of keyboards eg organ. There's a full listing of instruments in the programme.

What production are you talking about? There isn't a bassoon in the normal musical (either the reduced orchestral version or the full), so I'm assuming you mean the Las Vegas version.

#15 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
modern_angel_of_music Posted on: 26 Apr 2007 10:51
No,it was the London production, I'm about 99% sure there was a bassooon... I could see it!

#16 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
CarlottaGuidicelli Posted on: 26 Apr 2007 18:52
Did you buy a program? That would be odd if they did have one. It would be sort of like the change from the trio to duet in "Wandering Child". ;)

#17 Re: Phantom Orchestra Instruments?
modern_angel_of_music Posted on: 27 Apr 2007 15:17
Nah, they were too expensive. I only think I saw one, CarlottaGuidicelli, that doesn't mean that there definitely is! Why don't you have try and find out for yourself...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]