Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

Re: Love Never Dies in Australia. Discuss Australian production here.

You makes some good points Angel_of_Music 26. It's bad acting and bad directing, which you really would not expect to see in a show that has had so much time and money thrown at it. I've seen better acting from amateurs! For all the problems of the London production at least you could not fault the performances of the lead characters. They were superb and made the most they could of the poor material they were given to work with. These two don't look as though they are even trying. There is no chemistry there at all.

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 14:40

Archangel
Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:
[....]

Yes, the faint was not only melodramatic, it was downright cliche. At least in Phantom of the Opera, when Christine fainted it was a bit more realistic (i.e. she fainted from the impression when the mannequin suddenly appeared), but here, it's from seeing the Phantom appear from nowhere. Which brings me to a question regarding the new lyrics in "Beneath a Moonless Sky". Christine claims that it was "all a lie to fool us all". Ahem...pardon me for pointing out the sequence of events here, but if anyone knew that the Phantom was alive (which is what more or less is alluded to in the lyrics) then it would be Christine. Remember, according to LND, Christine came back to the Lair after she had left with Raoul, although we don't know just how she found him, since he dissappeared before the mob got to the lair. So, she finds the Phantom,sleeps with him, and the next morning he left, right? At no point is it mentioned in the libretto that anyone or anything even hinted at him being possibly dead. She wakes up the morning after, and he was gone. Thus,she knew he was alive, even though he left her. Anyone care to explain this inconsistency, because it seems to me yet another plot hole?

Oh wow, that's a plot hole I've missed so far, good point. Perhaps Christine lost that ability to track down the Phantom wherever he was along with her virginity. Down Evil Jennie, DOWN! In a charitable mood one might argue that she was so totally shocked to see him, even if she didn't necessarily think he was dead. Then again, after the Night of Passion (again and again), perhaps she couldn't understand why he just disappeared unless he was dead. She couldn't believe he had abandoned her.

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:02

Archangel
I'm afraid that's one plot hole that stuck out to me from the first time I listened to the CD. I could never figure out why Christine would have thought him dead, when the last time she saw/felt/grabbed/groped/kissed and what not...he was very much alive.

I'll buy into her shock at seeing him again...but not at her believing him dead.

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:16

Archangel
Look HDK, after such a Night of Passion (again and again) when they made the Music of the Moonless Night (and again), wasn't it a reasonable explanation for Christine to assume that he was dead? She couldn't believe he would have abandoned her

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:32

Archangel
Nah. Not under those circumstances. Now, if she'd woke up and found his lifeless body next to hers (a big ol' smile on his face) -- yeah.

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:42

Woman has mad passionate night of sex with man and wakes next morning to find him gone. Don't think most women would assume "oh dear, he must be dead." They're more likely to think "You miserable B*****d!"

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:46

Archangel
LOL! Exactly, catnip2!

Forget the faint. A severe beating would be more in the line of a proper response!

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 18:48

Quote:

HDKingsbury wrote:
I'm afraid that's one plot hole that stuck out to me from the first time I listened to the CD. I could never figure out why Christine would have thought him dead, when the last time she saw/felt/grabbed/groped/kissed and what not...he was very much alive.

I'll buy into her shock at seeing him again...but not at her believing him dead.

Quote:

Forget the faint. A severe beating would be more in the line of a proper response!

Well, the plot hole was technically not in the CD,but rather the revised London and Melbourne production.

I've come up with a theory as to why in LND version 3.0(?) Christine doesn't react like a regular woman should. I mean, the guy slept with her, and afterwards left her without an explanation. If this had been any other female character, she would have been furious at seeing him again, given that he never tried to make any type of contact with her, at least to say why he left. That is, until the Phantom starts feeling all needy again, and, yes, he must have his Christine again.It's all about him. Anyway, she probably had such a dull life with "drunk Raoul", when she saw the Phantom, she remembered that MIND-BLOWING night, and got really...excited at the possibility of it happening again. So intense was the sensation that she fainted. Of course, it must have been more exciting than with Raoul, otherwise she would't have acted like she was ready for another "roll in the hay" so to speak. Let's not forget the "stripped down" Christine of the reworked London version. All the Phantom had to do was to take off her corset, and she was ready.

Posted on: 13 Jul 2011 19:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Alright, I'm not going to give a very firm opinion because, I've yet to see LND (Either version) Live in person. HOWEVER! I've seen a bootleg that gave me the entire London show, and from the few clips of Aussies I've seen, I'll have to say I like it better.

Why? Simply because I think the new LND has a sorta WOW factor I tend to go towards for musicals. I like having a lot of things to look at or something that's super interesting (My favorite thing in Wicked isn't the music, or a specific scene, but the Time Dragon!). And the Coney Island waltz for the new one, even on a crappy bootleg, has a WOW factor. Like, you see it and you can't believe your eyes. The carousel in the middle of it is AMAZING!!!

I only have 2 problems with the new version, and maybe I'll have more but this is only from what I've seen in videos.

1. What is Christine wearing for the Love Never Dies song? I feel like they took London Fleck's costume from the Coney Island Waltz (Or whoever thiat's supposed to be. I don't know anymore. Always thought it was Fleck...) and put some sparkles on it, and BOOM that's Christine's new dress. Really, it's just too weird for me. What do peacocks have to do with Love Never Dying???

2. The Phantom himself. I actually prefer the Phantom's character in this because he seems more mysterious, but the guy playing the Phantom isn't so great in my book. Don't get me wrong, he's very well suited for the part and very talented! But I do prefer Ramin as the Phantom here. Because, when all is said and done, TIHYS was written for HIS voice, along with all the other songs. It's like Micheal Crawford for the Original Phantom. Even though some people don't like his voice, at the end of the day, he WAS the original Phantom, the very first, the role was written for his voice! And the same is here, Ramin was first, some people don't like his voice, they think he's too young. And that's OK! But the part was written for him, he was the first LND Phantom. So, when this guy with a much deeper voice comes along, it's really, REALLY different and weird to me.

Posted on: 22 Jul 2011 18:02

They have a new commercial over at the site...

http://www.youtube.com/user/loveneverdiesau#p/a/u/0/PZ9NTgP0ilA

They mixed in a bit from the ALW interview, some footage previously available on the other videos, and some additional scenes.

Note of interest: The dress Meg is wearing in the brief glimpse of "Dear Old Friend" is quite modest, almost old-fashioned for her. Very different from the one that Summer Strallen wore in the London production.

And it looks like they changed Christine's hairstyle for the performance scene.The new hair do is a bit simpler, but at least it's not out of place in the show, although it does make her look a bit younger.

Posted on: 23 Jul 2011 17:00

Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:
They have a new commercial over at the site...

http://www.youtube.com/user/loveneverdiesau#p/a/u/0/PZ9NTgP0ilA

They mixed in a bit from the ALW interview, some footage previously available on the other videos, and some additional scenes.

The visuals are again spectacular.

The bit of the old ALW interview was not the best thing they could have used. He says the Phantom of the Opera ended with "a bit of a cliff-hanger" and he thought, "why not do a sequel to it?"

Now, he knows--- if he is willing to look honestly at the facts. A sequel was not a good idea. The show has not been successful despite having people who love it and performers who gave it their all.

There are probably a number of reasons the show has not been the wonder he thought it would be, but I rather suspect that a "subliminal resistance to the idea of a sequel to the Phantom of the Opera" as he put it in a recent interview had a lot to do with it.

In some cases, the resistance was overt, not at all subliminal, and I wonder if he still thinks that if people who never liked the idea of a sequel to POTO and/or don't like the story and characterizations of this sequel would learn to love it if only they saw it.

Posted on: 23 Jul 2011 20:12

Getting a strong "Moulin Rouge" vibe (visually) from that new Australia video. Not sure I like it. That dancing bird/dinosaur/bone thing in TBU looks pretty cool though.

Posted on: 24 Jul 2011 0:16

ballet rat
And I like new design of "Only For You" scene: it's far more "weird" than the London one and at the same time far less vulgar. Yes, the costumes stay vaudeville, but with a strong flavour of "ill" fantasy. I mean, if Phantom still IS to be creator of all this mess, I much prefer to consider him a creator of THESE costumes than those of London version. THOSE were truly "Moulin Rouge", yes, but these... They somehow remind me "The Tales of Grimm Brothers" better :)
The whole scene has become more "Phantom"ish visually, though certainly NOT musically for me. Not to mention excellent Sharon's vocal in comparison with that rather weak Summer's rendition in London. I do believe Meg (original Little Meg, yes) COULD sing so after ten years in America and some special training. I love her voice (Sharon's), it all plays with champaign sparks and is full of "professional joy well-performed", She IS Meg unlike her London colleague who just played this character (and with rather dull voice, to be completely honest).

Posted on: 25 Jul 2011 13:09

Announcement from the Offical Love Never Dies (Australia) Facebook page "We have some rather exciting news to share. On Thursday Sept 15th, the 8pm performance of Love Never Dies at the Regent Theatre will be filmed for worldwide release on DVD. We can't tell you any more than this at the moment - other than to say there are still some tickets available for this performance should you want to be a part of the audience!"

Rather unprecedented I think. The Phantom stageshow has never been officially recorded and released onto DVD and yet this sequel will be. Hmm, I wonder if it will be strategically released just before Christmas as well?

What are your thoughts?

Posted on: 13 Aug 2011 0:21

I am your angel of music!

Archangel
It is a way for ALW & Company to recoup the investment monies that have gone into this show. Considering all the production and pre-production costs that have gone into LND, both in London and now the Australian production, I think they feel the need to give their income a boost.

They don't need to do so with the original because after 25 years, it is still a major money maker.

In short, I find it reminiscent of a movie that isn't the blockbuster hit its producers thought it would be, and send it almost straight to DVD.

Posted on: 13 Aug 2011 14:58

Quote:

HDKingsbury wrote:

...In short, I find it reminiscent of a movie that isn't the blockbuster hit its producers thought it would be, and send it almost straight to DVD.

It's a shame. For 25 years fans have longed for, petitioned for, begged for a commercial recording of Phantom of the Opera, most especially one with the original cast, but what we will have, as I have said elsewhere, is two second rate POTO related DVDS, the 2004 movie and now Love Never Dies---but NO Phantom of the Opera as millions have seen it on stage!

Posted on: 13 Aug 2011 20:49

Archangel
I agree, Bric. I would love to have a good video recording of the stage production. Wouldn't necessarily care if it was the London production, the NYC production, or any other professional cast/crew.

But like you say, we're not likely to get it. *sniff...sniff*

Posted on: 13 Aug 2011 21:01

So the party's over now at the Australian production. Seems like they had a VIP night, with some fans in attendance. Apparently, it was well organized for once, the fans got to take some pictures afterwards with the cast and stand on the stage.

But it was announced, officially, that LND will go to Sydney in January 2012. So much for it dying soon.

Here are some of the comments from the fans that attended...

http://www.facebook.com/LoveNeverDiesAU

Posted on: 18 Aug 2011 22:12

They have changed the homepage. Now it looks...well, see for yourself....

http://www.loveneverdies.com.au/index.php

The collage of the characters is a bit over the top, don't you think? And whomever changed the page forgot to update the links, since they don't work when you click on the different sections.

All I have to say is, the Phantom wearing a ring looks a bit too strange, even for him.

Posted on: 19 Aug 2011 21:52

Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:
So the party's over now at the Australian production. Seems like they had a VIP night, with some fans in attendance. Apparently, it was well organized for once, the fans got to take some pictures afterwards with the cast and stand on the stage.

But it was announced, officially, that LND will go to Sydney in January 2012. So much for it dying soon.

It wasn't a surprise that it is going to Sydney, was it? At least I was expecting it to. What would be a surprise would be it's going anywhere west of Australia.

Posted on: 19 Aug 2011 23:50

Quote:

Bricabrac wrote:
Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:

It wasn't a surprise that it is going to Sydney, was it? At least I was expecting it to. What would be a surprise would be it's going anywhere west of Australia.

Sydney wasn't definite. There was talk of doing a tour around Australia, but wasn't confirmed until now. And don't forget that it will be filmed in about a month, so if the DVD was released in the holiday season, there's no point in doing a tour. As you said, why go and pay expensive theater prices when you can see the film recording for a much more economic price?

Posted on: 20 Aug 2011 0:23

Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:

Sydney wasn't definite. There was talk of doing a tour around Australia, but wasn't confirmed until now. And don't forget that it will be filmed in about a month, so if the DVD was released in the holiday season, there's no point in doing a tour. As you said, why go and pay expensive theater prices when you can see the film recording for a much more economic price?

I don't doubt that LND will go to Sydney, but I don't see any official announcement.

I don't think that they have changed the fan page. One is a facebook page that has been around for a while. The other is not a facebook site and is much newer---two different fan sites.

Posted on: 20 Aug 2011 4:45

Archangel
I'm seeing the show again in a few days. It will probably be the last time for me. I will be interested to see if the theatre is as full as it was last time in June.

Posted on: 20 Aug 2011 9:27

Quote:

Bricabrac wrote:
I don't doubt that LND will go to Sydney, but I don't see any official announcement.

I don't think that they have changed the fan page. One is a facebook page that has been around for a while. The other is not a facebook site and is much newer---two different fan sites.

The announcement was made at the party. If you read some of the comments under the section in the Facebook page, the fans who attended were said so. Even more, here's an article from the Australian theater press ...

" AussieTheatre.com is excited to announce that the showis set to remain at the Regent until December 18 before transferring to Sydney's Capitol Theatre in January. An opening date for Sydney has not yet been confirmed."

http://www.aussietheatre.com.au/index ... atid=44:general&Itemid=67

So, although there is no definite date for the opening, it has been confirmed that it will to go Sydney in January.

As for the changes,it wasn't the fan page. It was the homepage (i.e. the Love never dies website). Here's the link....

Posted on: 20 Aug 2011 13:24

Quote:

angel_of_music26 wrote:

The announcement was made at the party. If you read some of the comments under the section in the Facebook page, the fans who attended were said so. Even more, here's an article from the Australian theater press ...

" AussieTheatre.com is excited to announce that the showis set to remain at the Regent until December 18 before transferring to Sydney's Capitol Theatre in January. An opening date for Sydney has not yet been confirmed."

http://www.aussietheatre.com.au/index ... atid=44:general&Itemid=67

So, although there is no definite date for the opening, it has been confirmed that it will to go Sydney in January.

As for the changes,it wasn't the fan page. It was the homepage (i.e. the Love never dies website). Here's the link....

The comment about moving to Sydney was this:

"Just read December 18th before it transfers to Sydney (is that really true though? "

I did a search and didn't find the article you link, but never mind, you are

right, right , right, RIGHT, and RIGHT, oh font of accurate information. I shall not doubt you again.

Posted on: 20 Aug 2011 14:11

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 15 »

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]