Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

Male Ballet Dancers in 19th century Paris (especially POTO time period)
  • Guest_
  • As I was looking for some info about male ballet dancers in 19th century France, that is, those that worked at the Paris Opera House, I learned that at the time that the events of the Phantom of the Opera took place, there practically no male ballet dancer at the Garnier. The article that I found online said that male ballet dancers were in decline for most of the 19th century, and ballerinas (female ballet dancers) eventually ended up taking over their roles. I thought that was interesting; that explains why there's no mention of any male ballet dancers in POTO, which always kind of puzzled me before. Here's the excerpt from the article:

"For years, the Paris Opera had a healthy population of male ballet students. But in 1818, ballet masters noted an imbalance in their student body,with 22 boys and 39 girls. This difference continued to grow, and by 1858 only one-fifth of the Paris Opera ballet students were boys.

The population of male dancers in the Paris Opera ballet decreased throughout the Romantic Era (1850 - 1920). As male dancers disappeared, ballerinas took their places. During this period, Marie Taglioni began popularizing pointe as a discipline for female ballet dancers."

http://www.dancehere.com/history-of-male-dancers/

--------------------------------------------------

Anyways, this is basically a general discussion thread about male ballet dancers in 19th century Paris. If any of you have anymore info to share on the topic, don't hesitate to join the discussion.

Also, I was hoping that someone might prove me wrong and point to some info that shows that there were at least a few male ballet dancers at the Paris Opera House in the 1880s.

Posted on: 16 May 2010 19:01
    Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Male Ballet Dancers in 19th century Paris (especially POTO time period)
    Archangel
    I tried looking this subject up online, and found this interesting little tidbit:

"During the second half of the 18th century the Paris Op‚ra was dominated by male dancers such as the Italian-French virtuoso Ga‚tan Vestris and his son Auguste Vestris, famed for his jumps and leaps. But women such as the German-born Anne Heinel, the first female dancer to do double pirouettes, also were gaining in technical proficiency."

Source: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/yiannis/dance/history.html

So, during the late 1700s, male dancers dominated the Paris Opera...yet later, in the 1800s, this trend was reversed. Interesting. I'm sure there is something pertinent here I am missing. Perhaps it has to do with many members of Society (with a capital S), especially men, went to the opera to see the pretty ladies' legs?

Posted on: 16 May 2010 22:54

Re: Male Ballet Dancers in 19th century Paris (especially POTO time period)
  • Guest_
  • Quote:

HDKingsbury wrote:
    I tried looking this subject up online, and found this interesting little tidbit:

"During the second half of the 18th century the Paris Op‚ra was dominated by male dancers such as the Italian-French virtuoso Ga‚tan Vestris and his son Auguste Vestris, famed for his jumps and leaps. But women such as the German-born Anne Heinel, the first female dancer to do double pirouettes, also were gaining in technical proficiency."

Source: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/yiannis/dance/history.html

So, during the late 1700s, male dancers dominated the Paris Opera...yet later, in the 1800s, this trend was reversed. Interesting. I'm sure there is something pertinent here I am missing. Perhaps it has to do with many members of Society (with a capital S), especially men, went to the opera to see the pretty ladies' legs?

Haha, perhaps you're right (one such member being Phillip from POTO, lol).

I also find some more info that actually contradicts what I posted in my prev. post. Here's the link to the article, which appeared in a magazine in 1879, (I think many of you will find it interesting":

http://www.literatureproject.com/phan ... pera/phantom-opera_28.htm

This excerpt is from that same article (see above link):

"Besides these apartments, the Opera has a dressing-room for sixty male, and another for fifty female choristers; a third for thirty-four male dancers; four dressing-rooms for twenty female dancers of different grades; a dressing-room for one hundred and ninety supernumeraries, etc."

Note, that apparently there were more male than female dancers at the Paris Opera House. O_o Interesting revelation, especially since there's no mention of them in POTO.

Also, it's interesting to note that male ballet dancers or danseurs, had to share on dressing room while the ballerinas had 4 dressing rooms that were separated by grade. Surely that can't mean that the male ballet dancers had no grades or ranks that separated the more prominent dancers from those who were fairly new and less talented.

---------------------------------------------------

On a side note, a male ballet dancer is called a danseur in French; the lead danseur is called a Premier Danseur and is the equivalent of a primma ballerina (e.g Sorelli in POTO).

Posted on: 16 May 2010 23:44

Edited by Keriks Odalisque on 17 May 2010 0:10:24
    Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]