Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

Red Death stalking abroad!!

Ok this would be a gooda spot as any to put this. Now I need your help. In Biology at school we have to write a report on a Disease of our choice. I have done similar before and I've done Mengigoccoal but for this one I thought it would be cool to do Red Death....Except I dont know what its realluy called. So if your a nurse and you have info or even if you know Red Deaths real name I'd be happy.

Thanks

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 2:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Red Death stalking abroad!!

Quote:
The disease of the Red Death is a fictitious one. Poe describes it as causing "sharp pains, and sudden dizziness, and then profuse bleeding at the pores" leading to death within half an hour.

That is what Wiki has too say about the topic. I am sorry DX- How about the Black Death? It's a plague, the only thing different is you get black dots under your arms instead of blood. Which I think is bruising. But then again I am too often wrong, so don't take notice of my ramblings.

Could though do tuberculosis which involves blood, or cholera, but I'd go with the black death.

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 2:53

Edited by Aliiak on 26 Nov 2007 2:57:03

Quote:

Aliiak wrote:
Quote:
The disease of the Red Death is a fictitious one. Poe describes it as causing "sharp pains, and sudden dizziness, and then profuse bleeding at the pores" leading to death within half an hour.

That is what Wiki has too say about the topic. I am sorry DX- How about the Black Death? It's a plague, the only thing different is you get black dots under your arms instead of blood. Which I think is bruising. But then again I am too often wrong, so don't take notice of my ramblings.

Could though do tuberculosis which involves blood, or cholera, but I'd go with the black death.

Aliiak is correct - it's not a real disease.

"The Red Death, a fictional plague in the World of Greyhawk campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game."

Looks like it's a pretty popular name for fake diseases.

You're probably confusing "Red Death" with "Black Death" (or "Black Plague") or the "Bubonic Plague".

Anyways, this probably should be in the Home Work Hotline Thread.
-> http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modu ... pe=&topic_id=8075&forum=6

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 3:05

Doesn't seem like she's confusing it. Just heard it from the fandom and assumed it was real. On the other hand, it sounds kind of like Ebola (yknow, bleeding from the pores, dead within a couple of hours), which might be interesting to do for your project.

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 10:00

Check out my fanfiction!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~erikjavert24601

Hmm... It's true Red death is not a real disease.
If it was, I would surely make my biology work on it

Black Death is a real disease. It is also known as The Black Plague. It was a horrible pandemic which killed two-thirds of the population in the Middle-Ages.

A long article of the Black Death I found in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

I hope this helps!

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 11:31

I wonder why I have been away for so long. This forum is great. I really need to come back, I'm just a bit scared of starting to re-post.

Yep, the Red Death was something Poe made up. But Leroux was a great fan of Poe so that's why he had Erik wear a Red Death costume to the masquerade. In fact, Leroux said that he wrote mysteries that he hoped would "out-Poe Poe" for instance, "The Mystery of the Yellow Room."

The Red Death does sound a lot like Ebola.

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 12:43

I wish you ankh, uta, seneb, hotep ("life, strength, health & peace" in ancient Egyptian).

Ohhhhh I was relly hoping I could do something about Red Death. Gah!!! Oh well!!

Thanks for your suggestions and javert_24601 is right I know all about the Bubonic plauge we studied that in year eight. Pretty gruesome and its spread is belived to have been fueled not only by the hordes of rats that were out of control because they killed off all the cats but also by the whipping dudes, think monthy python and the holy grail.....them dudes.....BRING OUT YOUR DEAD, BRING OUT YOUR DEAD...BUT I'M NOT DEAD!!

Sorry went rndom there but because those dudes went around splattering everyone in blood when they whipped themselves to supposedly rid them of sins they actually helped in spread!!

Ok. I want to do something that no-ones heard of thats why I wanted to do red death because its kinda obscure.

So hit me!!!

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 20:38

Person submitting post is caffine deficent ( not good )

..........and moriah is no longer my guy

Archangel
What about doing a report on porphyria, the disease that supposedly was the inspiration for the appearance of Leroux's Erik? It may not be completely unknown, but it is definitely an "orphan" disease, one that isn't very common.

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 21:37

Lol- Monty Python.

Um- about every few thousand/hundred years a new plague comes and wipes out a nice large chunk of civilisation, we are about due for one now, but if you look back through history you might be able to find one of those plagues, probaly no ones heard of it.

Posted on: 26 Nov 2007 21:41

ooohhhh porphyria......sounds intresting..........

Posted on: 27 Nov 2007 0:10

Person submitting post is caffine deficent ( not good )

..........and moriah is no longer my guy

Actually, Poe was talking about tuberculosis. Most of his focus was on this disease at this time. With his wife being consumed by the illness, as well as almost every woman in his life dying from it, he focused much of his attention on the disease.

Another believed disease is Cholera, which had broken out at the time The Masque of the Red Death was written.

But Leroux's Red Death is more focused upon either Leprosy or The Black Plague, two diseases feared by the masses. A person would not want to touch Red Death either way, but I remember hearing that Leroux was going for Leprosy. Seeing as though they were as disfigured as himself, and at times they wore a mask, this idea would be believable. Also Lepers had to carry something around saying they had the disease, like the cape.

Posted on: 27 Nov 2007 0:27

It sounds like a combination of diseases, than just one specific one. But the primary one I think is a Viral Hemorrhagic Fever(s).

It presents as a bad case of the flu. Then as the disease progress’ in severity there is bleeding under the skin, and sometimes out of the pores. The bleeding of internal organs and from body orifices. Meaning, ears, nose, mouth, other primary “holes” of the body.

Seeing all of the blood, people back then would call this a Red Death. But this is just my idea on Poe.

Posted on: 27 Nov 2007 19:01

Edited by PhantomEMT on 27 Nov 2007 19:12:38

Doctor Who and Torchwood are my obsession's while Phantom is my passion.

Yes, Poe was influenced by the affects of TB when writing "The Masque of the Red Death" but, if I remember my Poe history correctly, only his mother & his wife/cousin died from TB. He elaborated on the symptoms of TB for dramatic effect.

It is believed by some that a myriad of ills contribued to Poe's death: alcoholism, drug addiction, rabies (?), and TB.

Posted on: 27 Nov 2007 19:27

I wish you ankh, uta, seneb, hotep ("life, strength, health & peace" in ancient Egyptian).

The woman that adopted Poe also died from TB. Poe himself died from alcohol poisoning. He was found drunk on the side of a road in New York, on his way to see a woman. He wasn't even wearing his clothes. Oddly enough, it was on the same night people were being kidnapped and forced to vote for a candidate in an election. Very sad history when Poe is talked about. The drug thing is questioned, he was a depressed man that did not have a whole lot of money. If he did do drugs, and it was proven, I would wonder how he afforded them. All of his money went to provide comfort to his wife/cousin. I took 2 American Literature classes and he is the most important man in American Literature.

But the disease Leroux's Red Death would symbolize is different. Then again Leroux probably did not even know what he was talking about. As good as the novel is, he did have sections with confusing information. This is not the thread to discuss that on, but I will stay with Leprosy being Erik's Red Death. Though the Plague is good too.

Posted on: 28 Nov 2007 22:54

It is only a theory that Poe was addicted to opium. But opium at the time was easy to get & legal. He might have used it as others did as a painkiller and tranquilizer, and to treat hangovers, travel sickness & depression.

According to Kenneth Silverman, author of "Edgar A. Poe: Mournful & Never-Ending Remembrance," there was no evidence that Poe was addicted to opium--just alcohol.

I too learned in school that Poe died on the street after being dragged from voting place to voting place. But according to the above author, a friend by the name of J.E. Snodgrass found Poe semi-conscious in a tavern suffering from delirium tremens & had him taken to the hospital at Washington Medical College where Poe died.

A lot more information is available now about the life & death of Poe than before.

Posted on: 28 Nov 2007 23:37

protege
Well what about Ebola....It's just as bad,tons of bleeding out of all pores during the bleed out portion. Highly catchy so much in fact it is put in the highest level of biohazard.

For a good description read the red zone. Basically an account of how the disease clashes with humanity.

Trust me reminds me of the red death...though if you want to still do the red death Poe draws for inspiration it would be consumption.

Posted on: 30 Dec 2010 2:57

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]