Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing, and Cross- Stitching!!
  • Guest_
  • Hmmm... stockinette can be really pretty and basic,but it is a PAIN to knit with!
    I suggest using Garter stitch(knit every row) instead. Just use the same striping pattern you re now, and it will look not so straight. This is because Garter stitch has alot of bumps,and they tend to look a little more imperfect or notched.
    Thanks for the picture help. now all i gotta do is get a Phototbucket account!

Posted on: 5 Oct 2008 7:19
    Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ooh, alright, thanks for the help!! I'm so clueless about knitting, I learned from online instructions because my grandma had a hard time teaching me. Maybe I'll actually be good at it someday. I hope.

Posted on: 7 Oct 2008 4:05

• Guest_
  • Better yet!
    Don't redo the whole thing.
    If you knit it in stockinette, then just keep on knitting that way.
    Then, when you are finished, turn it inside-out. This is the Garter stitch!
    Just sew it up like that, and it should look great!
    And, if you are wanting to get better at knitting, then I suggest a book called Teach Yourself Visually:Knitting

It's a agreat book with pictures and all! A little expensive, but it works great! I own a copy and live it to death!

Posted on: 7 Oct 2008 5:08

I can't knit, but when I saw this project featured in an e-mail newsletter, I thought someone(s) here might be interested: How to Knit a Stripey Short-Rows Wavy Hat

Posted on: 31 Oct 2008 22:00

*** Current Puzzle Hosted by ??? ---

Empy's Directory

• Guest_
  • I love the pattern,Empy! Thanks for posting that!

Posted on: 1 Nov 2008 2:11

• Guest_
  • Dang it...
    Man, everytime I go to add something onto my post, I'm too late to edit! DANG IT!

So, sorry for the double post, but I MUST ADD SOMETHING TO THIS PAGE!!

I have decided that I am going to knit a beautiful baby blanket for our expecting friend. Since the child's gender is unknown,I am going to make it cream/off-white. It involves having to knit,purl,and bobble. I will definately take a picture when I am finished.
    Now, my problem is that I casted on. I know it doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it could be the end of my blanket. My stitches keep on twisting around and around and around... So I have to rip it all out. That's OK though, since I didn't finish one row yet. (Hey,it's 167 stitches wide of PURE SEED STICHING. It's tough!) I am totally up for any suggestions or tips. The yarn I am using is...ugh...well,I THINK it is Cashmere. Sorry, the market here doesn't label the yarn! But,anyways, I think that it is 6 plyed.(Meaning it has 6 little threads twisted together to make one think string of yarn) I am using size 9 needles, just because I need to blanket to be nice and wide.

So, any suggestions? Comments? Tips?

Posted on: 8 Nov 2008 6:05

Anonymous
  • Guest_Anonymous
  • So, I took it upon myself to create something I've been itching to for eons, and haven't gotten to until now.

This dress is just orgasms and cupcakes. I'm not recreating that exact one, but it's similar. I'm doing a more peasant-y top, simply because I have huge tatas, and I'm not fighting with that top. Also, I'm doing the bustle so that it's removable, but that's where I'm running into issues: I'm not doing traditional bustling, more of the French or 'swoop' bustle, and I'm kinda at a loss of how to attach it. I don't want to use anything ugly like velcro, and I always don't want to it fall off while I'm wearing it.

I'm thinking buttons with bows so that they look a little more feminine and decorative, but I'm open to suggestions.

Posted on: 8 Nov 2008 11:42

Quote:

Masquerade_Dancer wrote:
    Dang it...
    Man, everytime I go to add something onto my post, I'm too late to edit! DANG IT!

You can only edit within an hour or so of posting. It's meant for correcting mistakes, not adding whole new thoughts days later. What you did was fine.

Quote:
    I have decided that I am going to knit a beautiful baby blanket for our expecting friend. Since the child's gender is unknown,I am going to make it cream/off-white. It involves having to knit,purl,and bobble. I will definately take a picture when I am finished.
    Now, my problem is that I casted on. I know it doesn't sound like the end of the world, but it could be the end of my blanket. My stitches keep on twisting around and around and around... So I have to rip it all out. That's OK though, since I didn't finish one row yet. (Hey,it's 167 stitches wide of PURE SEED STICHING. It's tough!) I am totally up for any suggestions or tips. The yarn I am using is...ugh...well,I THINK it is Cashmere. Sorry, the market here doesn't label the yarn! But,anyways, I think that it is 6 plyed.(Meaning it has 6 little threads twisted together to make one think string of yarn) I am using size 9 needles, just because I need to blanket to be nice and wide.

So, any suggestions? Comments? Tips?

I'm not sure what you mean by twisting, but after you've cast on have you made sure that all the stitches are neatly in a line on your needle (along the bottom of the needle specifically) before continuing? Are knitting the first row after casting on or does it start a pattern immediately? If you knit the first row after casting on, I'd suggest using the Long-Tail Cast-On. It does the casting on and first row of knit at the same time, so if it's your cast-on row that's getting twisted, this will be less likely to do so.

Posted on: 9 Nov 2008 1:05

Edited by Malica on 9 Nov 2008 1:07:40

• Guest_
  • You know, if you cast on a lot of stitches, they tend to twist around the needles...

Anyways, I did just rip it out and do the long tail cast on. Now I have 4 rows done of the seed stitching. It looks beautiful so far!

Posted on: 9 Nov 2008 3:13

I've never really had that problem (except when knitting in the round and just half a twist is enough to turn what should have been a tube into a Mobius strip!). I figured doing a long-tail cast-on would help though -- with the extra width it's not as likely to get twisted.

Posted on: 9 Nov 2008 14:29

• Guest_
  • Well,I'm no knitting in the round,but I am using circular needles, since I have to knit a BLANKET. Thanks for the link though.

Infy, I have always thought about those bustles. It would be such a pain to wash the thing if they were attached to the dress. Although velcro was my first though, maybe you could tie it on with VISIBLE bows? Since you wanted something feminine(I am getting that idea considering you want buttons and bows) Why not attach some cordinating-colored silk ribbons to dress and bustle, then just tie it on/off.
    Or you could always buy those buttons, and just make button holes on the dress and button the thing on.

Posted on: 10 Nov 2008 7:12

• Guest_
  • Awwww I can't let this thread die.

You know that baby blanket I was talking about? Well, it ended up being such a pain in the butt that I ripped it all out. I invested in some cheap wool yarn, a pair of size 50 needles from Lion Brand, and about six hours of my time, and made a gorgeous, thick, warm blanket. I knit the thing in four panels, with each panel being 10 stitched wide, and then sew them all together. It turned out beautifully!

Now I'm working on a backpack. It's supposed to look something like [url= http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80401AD.html?noImages=]this one[/url], but I made a few pattern changed. Mine is more square, I used acrylic yarn, mine's purple, and I knit the back of it in just plain garter stitch. I also made a flap to go over the top, because I've been pick-pocketed before with a backpack that had draw strings.

My next project is going to be cross stitching. I'm making a red rose to go on my red wall.

Posted on: 18 May 2009 8:42

Quote:

The Borg Queen wrote:
    Awwww I can't let this thread die.

You know that baby blanket I was talking about? Well, it ended up being such a pain in the butt that I ripped it all out. I invested in some cheap wool yarn, a pair of size 50 needles from Lion Brand, and about six hours of my time, and made a gorgeous, thick, warm blanket. I knit the thing in four panels, with each panel being 10 stitched wide, and then sew them all together. It turned out beautifully!

Now I'm working on a backpack. It's supposed to look something like [url= http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80401AD.html?noImages=]this one[/url], but I made a few pattern changed. Mine is more square, I used acrylic yarn, mine's purple, and I knit the back of it in just plain garter stitch. I also made a flap to go over the top, because I've been pick-pocketed before with a backpack that had draw strings.

My next project is going to be cross stitching. I'm making a red rose to go on my red wall.

Wow that's awesome My Grandmother taught me the basics of knitting years ago...I knitted a woolen scarf for my brother once. I'm not an expert, but it certainly is interesting!

Posted on: 18 May 2009 9:10

Right now I'm working on a pair of alpaca lace handwarmers. I've been calling them "Phantom Lace" because they just feel like something a woman might wear around that time period. I know it's probably far from historically correct, but when I wear my fedora (with flowers and lace all over it, ha!) and the one finished handwarmer, I feel so......hisorical!

If you want to see pictures of what I've knit, I'm bluekittenknits on www.ravelry.com. Sadly I don't have pictures up of "Phantom Lace", but I will soon!

Posted on: 18 May 2009 11:08

Signature Hangman:
    "It's not my birthday, and I haven't been good..."

Guessed by Cathrine Daae!

If anyone wants some awesome cross stitch patterns, I'll post them (alas, if only I knew how to post pictures!). Recently, I've completed a yorkie cross-stitch, and a very simple but elegant crocheted scarf. It takes about two hours to do. I'm going to include the pattern into my profile if anyone's interested.

Also, you know the Knifty Knitter hat knitting kits (try saying that five times fast!)? I recently made a beautiful pink hat for the three year old I mentioned in the phantom moments thread. It was hot pink, with purple crochet flowers in a bunch.

I have a question: what's the easiest way to make an afghan in crochet?

Also, does anyone know tatting? I'm thinking about starting it this summer.

Posted on: 20 May 2009 21:57

Proud member for 4 years and counting!

• Guest_
  • Oh oh oh! I own a Knifty Knitter hat making kit!! It love it. And you can make lots more thigns than just hats.

If you have any cross stitch patterns for Phantom or Star Trek, I would love for you to post them!!

Crocheting an afghan?? I've always wanted to crochet one of those...but I don't know how to crochet very well. TT___TT If it's anything like knitting, I would just use a regular stitch for the whole thing, making striped of a matching color in it. Or you could make it out of those seld striping yarns. You have to love those!!! Other than that, you could do a basic afghan and then embroider it.

Posted on: 21 May 2009 3:28

• Guest_
  • Double Post Alert: Like I really care.

Alright, so I've decided to crochet a blanket. Just a simple stitch will be used, and I'm going to make it out of that cheap Red Heart stuff from Wal~Mart. I hate knitting with that stuff, but it does great with crocheting! I already own about 2-3 balls of one color, so I'm going to use that. I have a size K hook, I crocheted a gauge square, and it turned out beautiful: flexible, warm, soft, ect... So, I have one question. How many balls of yarn will it take to make a fairly large crochet blanket? I'm not using that super saver stuff, just the regular size skeins. Anyone know???

Posted on: 24 May 2009 5:53

Hmmm.... Borg Queen, I don't crochet, so I'm not sure how much yarn it takes as opposed to knitting, but for a large blanket I think you'd need quite a lot of yarn. Depending on the yardage of each skein, I'd say maybe seven skeins total? Buy more than you think you'll need- you can always return extras or use them for something else!

Does anyone know of any Phantom-y knitting patterns? I love to knit, and would really love to knit something Phantom-related! I found a mask chart on Ravelry, but the link is expired, and I'm afraid that if I draw a chart myself it will turn out badly and I'll have wasted a bunch of time. Any ideas???

Gah, if only I didn't have this horrible, boring strap to finish for my aunt's yoga bag! It's only 8 inches long, and it needs to be 30 by August! *bangs head against wall* Grrrr.... On the bright side, I finished the purse I was knitting in time to see Phantom on Broadway! And it held up perfectly! If anyone's a member of Ravelry (if you're not, I highly reccomend it! It's a great place to find knit and crochet patterns! www.ravelry.com), the purse is the Saturday Handbag in my projects (bluekittenknits). No pictures of it up yet, my camera's been screwy, but when it's fixed I promise I'll put photos up!

Posted on: 8 Jun 2009 20:36

Signature Hangman:
    "It's not my birthday, and I haven't been good..."

Guessed by Cathrine Daae!

Posted on: 9 Jun 2009 16:13

Proud member for 4 years and counting!

I do sew some. No good at anything else int he title of this thread, sadly... T_T

Posted on: 9 Jun 2009 19:00

• Guest_
  • Please, try not to post any one-liners. It's annoying, to tell you the truth.

I'm multi-tasking right now with a capelet, the finishing touches of my backpack, and crocheting that blanket.

Bella Rose, that is a cute doll! I'll share him with you!?

Posted on: 10 Jun 2009 4:14

It wasn't originally. I did try to edit it but my computer had a brain fart and wouldn't let me post it. >.<

But... OMG that Erik doll... O.O

Posted on: 10 Jun 2009 17:31

Which is easier: crocheting or knitting?

I am learning to chrochet, but all I can do are the basic stitches. I'm having a hard time progressing because I'm learning everything from a book with very unclear instructions. Ugh... Can anyone recommend a helpful book?

How do you crochet a double treble stitch, and when would you use it?

Posted on: 2 Jul 2009 16:13
    "A long time she held me, as though she couldn't bear to let me go, and when at last we drew apart, we stared at each other with silent awe, dazed by the intensity of what we had shared. It was finished, of course..that kiss ended everything." Susan Kay,

protege
    I cannot crochet at all! I tried to learn from a book and it was terrible. Knitting was much easier for me to pick up. I worked at Michaels for a few years though and they have several books on crocheting. Not sure which one is the best. My friend said it just takes several tries to get new stitches right. It has been three years since I worked at Michaels but I think some of the books are non-wrapped so you look at them before you buy them and decide how easy they are to follow. Also my friend learned most of what she knows about knitting and crocheting from free internet demos. Then she teaches us.

“Knifty Knitters” are an incredibly easy way to knit. Some say using one is cheating but whose going to know the difference unless you tell them? Mostly I do not have the patience to learn how to crochet.

I just recently finished sewing an advent calendar. It has snow men on it and pockets for each day until Christmas with a snowflake in each pocket. You pull out the snowflake to cover the day as you count down until Christmas. This project took me a measly THREE YEARS to complete. Again I have patience issues and often start two or three projects at once because I get board with them. Good luck with your project!

Posted on: 11 Oct 2009 5:05
    I just want you to know who I am.

• Guest_
  • Quote:

Midnight Star wrote:
    Which is easier: crocheting or knitting?

I am learning to chrochet, but all I can do are the basic stitches. I'm having a hard time progressing because I'm learning everything from a book with very unclear instructions. Ugh... Can anyone recommend a helpful book?

How do you crochet a double treble stitch, and when would you use it?

I had the same problem when learning how to knit. I learned the basic knitting stitch from a cousin, but everything else I know came from books. I was having a hard time understanding the instructions, and often there were no pictures to illistrate how to do a complicated stitch.

But then, my mother gave me Teach Yourself Visually: Knitting to me for a Christmas present a few years ago, and it's so great! In your case, you would want Teach Yourself Visually: Crochet. I planned to order it a while back, but then got busy and didn't. It's on my Christmas list, though. It's a great book with TONS of great photos to help you understand how to do things.

You asked the question 'Which is easier: Knitting or Crocheting?'. I can't honestly say, because being a knitter myself, I find knitting easier than trying to crochet. But my friend, who crochets, says that crocheting is easier than knitting because you only have one needle. I suppose it depends on who you ask.

I can knit and crochet, and I truly believe that crocheting would be easier than knitting...if you want to make something lace-y and open-worked. If you want a more full fabric for say, a sweater, I think knitting is eaier.

Knowing how to both knit and crochet makes for a LOT of fun when making projects!

Posted on: 11 Oct 2009 5:59

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
    « 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]