Register now!

Resend Activation Email
T-Shirts & More
Navigation
Buy Phantom

Phantom T-shirts & Gifts

Buy The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - UK
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - US

For more Phantom of the Opera books, CDs and films, visit the Phantom Fan Store.

In association with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Recent news
Sponsor links

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic    Register To Post

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 15 »

Re: The Ring
protege
I must say that THE Ring sure does get around!

After reading all of the great posts on this subject I think stefanie_bean summed it up exactly in posts #109, 140, 142 and haunting_me in her post #110.

I tried for weeks to get my thoughts on this just right, but you ladies did it for me. Thank you!

Posted on: 2 Mar 2006 22:27

...oh,for the love of one man...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quote:

emilou wrote:
i find it annoying that chrissine married raoul and not erik. they should so make a phantom of the opera 2 and ittl b like christines child with the phantom, cuz on her grave it said beloved mother and wife.

this was a reeeaaally early reply..but...i was just reading & that wud be even weirder than christine & the phantom sincehe is already old enough to like be her dad....

christine's daughter & erik... he would be, like, 100!! haha!! & like her grandfather...& thats a little perverted! lol!

Posted on: 10 Sep 2006 20:05

Proud Pott-Head

hmm im wondering...raoul gave her the ring first right..in the movie st least..

Posted on: 12 Sep 2006 12:40

I must say... for a long time I thought it was the same ring... but.. if you look closely... when Raoul gave Christine the ring.. the ring was in a way.. pink-ish.. at least the stone surrounding the clear diamond in the center where all pink (if you see the reproduction rings.. they were white in the middle and pink christal on the side.. like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Phantom-of-the-Op ... ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
BUt then.. if you paid attention to the ring which Erik gave Christine.. it was all the way Clear.. Clear center stone and Clear smaller stones surrounding the center piece.. so I think it was two different rings.. (I think the second ring looks like this. except the surrounding clear stones where bigger.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ttype=cross_promot_widget)

that is what I think

Posted on: 17 Sep 2006 1:51

ballet rat
it's the same ring through the hole movie
if you look it's the same ring

Posted on: 3 Nov 2006 2:12

ballet rat
Could the returning of the ring be a nod from the Phantom to Raoul...as in, "we both loved her...she's gone now...this belongs to you?"...he probably knew Raoul was going to the gravesite as Madame Chery (sp?) was at the auction (or the OG himself could have been at the auction) and he would have been tipped off.
Open in new window

Posted on: 18 Nov 2006 22:35

Edited by NoWayJose on 18 Nov 2006 22:42:53

I actually think that it is not the same ring. I mean, look at it closely in the Masquerade scene, then look at it again in Down Once More and the end cemetery scene (which, by the way is called 'Their Beloved'). I mean obviously the ring in DOM and Their Beloved is the same, but I think that the Masquerade ring is different...am I the only one who thinks so???

Also I should mention that I have never seen the stage musical (want to sooooooooooo bad you have no idea). So I don't know what you guys are talking about with the chair or whatever it is you said.

My bad. You guys were right. I just looked at them closely. It is the same one. Looksie here:

Masquerade ring:
Open in new window

Down Once More ring:
Open in new window

Sorry I don't have the cemetery ring and also sorry that the pic from Down Once More is kinda bad.

Posted on: 5 Mar 2007 23:29

Edited by Ange De Musique_1 on 5 Mar 2007 23:36:25
Edited by Ange De Musique_1 on 6 Mar 2007 0:16:18
Edited by Ange De Musique_1 on 6 Mar 2007 0:49:31
Edited by Ange De Musique_1 on 6 Mar 2007 0:51:36

"I'll kick down the walls around me, they don't know how strong I am..."

ballet rat
i'm sure many of you already know this. but for those who doesn't know i just share wanna this.

it's a swarovski cystal ring, because of raoul flash back (looking at a couple kissing infront of swarovski shop with tears)

Posted on: 26 Mar 2007 7:37

Edited by bhindmymask on 26 Mar 2007 7:40:13

is it the same ring on stage? Because erik takes a ring during 'why so silent', gives the one he was wearing during PONR, which christine then gives back just before she leaves. Is this the same ring again, except that it is given by Erik to christine in a different place?

Posted on: 26 May 2007 9:10

Quote:

bournephantom wrote:
is it the same ring on stage? Because erik takes a ring during 'why so silent', gives the one he was wearing during PONR, which christine then gives back just before she leaves. Is this the same ring again, except that it is given by Erik to christine in a different place?

Completely different ring. The Stage Ring has a different storyline than the Movie Ring.

Everyone, please. Just a reminder that you are in the "Silver Screen" forum. Please try to limit your Ring theories to the '04 movie.

I know it can't be helped but to compare the rings. That's fine but make sure to differentiate the two.

Posted on: 26 May 2007 11:58

Most men lack the courage of their imaginations.

Abigail Whistler owns my vamp-killing ass.

"I got my fist/I got my plan/I got Survivalism." -NIN

Same ring in the movie. ON stage its the Phantom's that he gave to her.

Posted on: 4 Jun 2007 20:35

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take advantage of them”-Walter Kerr

Totally should have picked the phantom. -sighs-

Posted on: 4 Jun 2007 20:38

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take advantage of them”-Walter Kerr

Archangel
Quote:

stefanie_bean wrote:
Quote:

i_lv_erik wrote:

I don't like in the movie that he gives her the ring Raoul originally gave her.

This is my take on the ring.

Raoul gives her a ring. According to tradition of that era, if the girl puts it on her "heart" (ring) finger, she accepts it as an engagement ring. If she puts it on any other finger, it's a gift.

Raoul and Christine have a "secret engagement," which Raoul doesn't like, but notice that Christine isn't wearing the ring on her ring finger.

At this point, the ring is hers, not Raoul's, even though Raoul has given it to her.

When the Phantom snatches it from her neck, he's taken something that belongs to Christine, not Raoul.

When he gives it back to Christine, the ring now takes on a dual meaning. It was Christine's ring, but now he's going through the same symbolism - offering her a ring, which she doesn't put on her ring finger - instead she balls it up in her fist.

Then, before she decides to kiss the Phantom, she puts the ring on her ring finger. It's the first & only time we see that ring worn in that way.

In a way the Phantom has taken her ring and given it back to her with something "special" added. That's why, in the scene where she comes back for the last time, it's so *brutal* when she takes the ring off and gives it back to him.

I understand the Phantom keeping the ring for the next 40 years. What I don't understand is why at *that* particular moment he chooses to place the ring on the gravesite (right at the same time Raoul places the music box.)

Stefanie

Yep, the film ring has a different story from the stage show ring. In the stage show, it's the Phantom's own very distinctive BIG red stone ring.. In the movie it's the Engagement Ring. Bleah, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Stef also says earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Maybe you've heard the old expression, "Once bitten, twice shy?" If a girl doesn't truly accept the first ring, and then sneaks out in the hour before dawn, right past you while you're sleeping to meet the guy who stole the ring you gave her from right off her neck in front of 500 partygoers, would you give her another one right away?

I'm not a guy, but that would give me pause.

The ring would have never gotten taken in the first place if Christine had put it where it belonged - on her finger. But she didn't. Her ambivalence, her unwillingness to accept Raoul as her fiance in front of the world all came out in that initial decision not to wear the ring where an engagement ring usually goes.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 14:43

Jennie quote:
Raoul gives her a ring. According to tradition of that era, if the girl puts it on her "heart" (ring) finger, she accepts it as an engagement ring. If she puts it on any other finger, it's a gift.

Raoul and Christine have a "secret engagement," which Raoul doesn't like, but notice that Christine isn't wearing the ring on her ring finger.

YES! I completely agree with Jennie. I new about how engagment wasn't really final (so to speak) until she put it on her heart (ring finger) She never put it on!

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 17:32

• Guest_
  • Quote:

Jennie wrote:
    Quote:

stefanie_bean wrote:
    Maybe you've heard the old expression, "Once bitten, twice shy?" If a girl doesn't truly accept the first ring, and then sneaks out in the hour before dawn, right past you while you're sleeping to meet the guy who stole the ring you gave her from right off her neck in front of 500 partygoers, would you give her another one right away?

I'm not a guy, but that would give me pause.

The ring would have never gotten taken in the first place if Christine had put it where it belonged - on her finger. But she didn't. Her ambivalence, her unwillingness to accept Raoul as her fiance in front of the world all came out in that initial decision not to wear the ring where an engagement ring usually goes.

That made me thinking that I find it actually a bit odd that Raoul doesn't give her a new ring. Well, maybe there's not so much time passing between the Masquerade night and the performance of Don Juan, and Raoul was very busy then so perhaps they just found no moment for that.

But somehow I find it strange that he doesn't buy Christine a new ring. He doesn't seem like he would be cheap and he doesn't really have a reason to think Christine would "lose" the ring if he got her another.

Trying to look at it from his perspective, I think he does recognize that the Phantom shows up as being his rival, and now that guy comes and steals his fiancee's engagement ring.

I don't think Raoul is someone with a big ego and if he got Christine a new engagement ring he would not do it because he wanted to kick the Phantom in the balls, but to show that he sticks with Christine, to assure that the Phantom cannot change that.

Or perhaps he actually bought her a new one but they kept it in a more secret place than the last time... Or they first wanted to bring that opera behind them...hmm.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 18:30

Archangel
    Quote:

Freedom Singer wrote:
    Jennie quote:

YES! I completely agree with Jennie. I new about how engagment wasn't really final (so to speak) until she put it on her heart (ring finger) She never put it on!

Hi Freedom Singer and welcome to the site.

I just want to point out that I was quoting Stefanie Bean, and while I perfectly agree with her, I can't take credit for the thoughts that she's put forward.

Maybe it wasn't perfectly clear, it's difficult to see who is quoting who sometimes!

See you around, I hope you'll enjoy the discussions.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 18:42

protege
    OH man, I LOVED The Ring!!!! I almost combusted when I saw that girls face after watching the tape!

I don't really understand the ending but whatev still a good movie.

Edit: OMG don't get your knickers in a twist. Gawd. It's not like this forum is run like a tight ship anyway I haven't even seen any mods.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 18:52

Edited by Tits McGee on 8 Jul 2009 19:03:09

Dude, read the damn thread, or the post before yours or even just take a peek at the forum it's in!

This thread is about the ring in the 2004 movie (hence Silver Screen, not the movie "The Ring." If it were about "The Ring" it would have been in The Chorus.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 18:59

http://viscountess.tumblr.com/
    http://viscountess-vesper.deviantart.com

• Guest_
  • Quote:

Freedom Singer wrote:
    Jennie quote:

And this is a really, really annoying thing about Christine. She's the one who started all of this. She led Raoul up to the rooftop, got him thinking romantically about her, and what did she expect? I think wearing the ring around her neck was one of the most cowardly things she did.

Posted on: 8 Jul 2009 22:44

Edited by winnie1955 on 8 Jul 2009 22:47:11

Archangel
    Quote:

winnie1955 wrote:
    Quote:

Freedom Singer wrote:
    Jennie quoted Stefanie Bean who said:

And this is a really, really annoying thing about Christine. She's the one who started all of this. She led Raoul up to the rooftop, got him thinking romantically about her, and what did she expect? I think wearing the ring around her neck was one of the most cowardly things she did.

Such indecisive dithering. She was a total mess, emotionally, wasn't she.

But I must say I felt much more sympathy for stage show Christine than for movie Christine, even if both Christines basically followed the same script. Especially Mia Karlsson in the Danish show came across as warm and sympathetic, truly torn, but with a sense of inner strength, too.

Posted on: 10 Jul 2009 14:09

• Guest_
  • I think the ring kind of bonded them all together. First it was given to Christine by Raoul, then Phantom rips it off her neck, then gives it back to her during Final Lair, then she gives it back to him before leaving with Raoul, then he gives it back to her all those years later on her grave.
    It's all connected.

Also, I think the Phantom should've given her his own ring, instead of stealing Raoul's. He certainly could've. (What else could he do with 20,000 francs given to him a month? I always wondered what he did with all that money.)
    P.G.7.

Posted on: 6 Sep 2009 14:11

Quote:

Also, I think the Phantom should've given her his own ring, instead of stealing Raoul's. He certainly could've. (What else could he do with 20,000 francs given to him a month? I always wondered what he did with all that money.)
    P.G.7.

Agreed. What with him rarely using them (save for ink, quills, paper, and maybe food and clothes) there's bound to be millions - or billions even - of francs down the lair. He could've gone and purchase himself a coller ring. No offense, but I think that ring is HIDEOUS.

Posted on: 10 Sep 2009 19:09

ballet rat
    I'm new here, I hope this question is okay. I thought the question would fit in this thread. Sorry if this question is alredy answered in the forum.

So I wonder why does Christine give the ring back in the ending scene in the movie? What does that symbolize?

Posted on: 17 Apr 2010 21:20

I think it means the same thing that it does in the stage musical, that she is not his. It would be more effective and meaningful if it were really *his* ring, but when a woman returns a ring to a man, it means, "It's over."

Posted on: 17 Apr 2010 21:40

Posted on: 17 Apr 2010 22:35

"AND REMEMBER THE TRUTH THAT ONCE WAS SPOKEN: TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"--- LES MISERABLES

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
    « 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 15 »

Register To Post

[Advanced Search]